New VMware Certifications

Paths to VCP on NGen4

My guess is that the launch of the next generation of VMware vSphere products will probably be sooner than some people can imagine. When I was doing the “Overview of the new vSphere products” lab on VMworld Europe 2009 in Cannes last week, the product was looking very finished. All the functionality was there and it was fully functioning. Together with the release of the new vSphere products VMware will also introduce the new certification tracks.

Let’s have a look at the new certification track:

The new NGen4 ICM (Install, Configure and Manage) training will still be mandatory off course, if you want to be recognized as a VCP. I think this is a good thing. I wonder however if they manage to get it together with all the new stuff it in a 5 day course.

The options (black arrows):

• Everybody new to VMware MUST attend the NGen4 ICM training
  • Everybody who attended the VI3 training (I&C or DSA only), but didn’t passed the exam MUST attend the NGen4 ICM training again
  • If you are a VCP on ESX 2.x you MUST attend the NGen4 training
  • If you are a VCP on VI3 you MUST attend the NGen4 What’s New training

From the day of GA, VMware will offer a shortcut for a limited period of only 9 months.

The shortcut options (orange arrows):

• If you are VCP on VI3 than you are allowed to take the new NGen4 exam WITHOUT attending the NGen4 “What’s New” training
  • If you are VCP on ESX 2.x you are still allowed to take the VI3 exam in order to become VCP on VI3 and then take the NGen4 exam
  • If you attended the VI3 training (I&C or DSA only) but didn’t passed the VI3 exam, you are offered 2 options:
  • Take the VI3 exam, and become VCP on VI3 and then take the NGen4 exam
  • Attend the NGen4 “What’s New” training and take the NGen4 exam

After this period of 9 months the shortcut paths will not be available anymore. From then on everybody is forced to take the mandatory trainings. So my advice is to get certified on VI3 as quick as possible, this will save you a lot of sorrow.

VMware still wants the VCP certification to behold its market value. We were asked multiple times to not publish any exam content to the web. Another countermeasure against Testking sites is VMware building exams you will only pass if you get real life experience with the product. If you have no experience you will simply going to fail the exam.

My guess is that the new exam is build out of two parts:

• The multiple choice part
  • A simulation(or even a lab) part, where you really have to configure and troubleshoot stuff.

VMware Certified Design Expert (VCDX)

VCDX is and advanced certification developed for those with design architect-level knowledge of VMware enterprise deployments.

This certification exists of the following steps:

• Get your VMware Certified Professional (VCP) status
  • Get to pass the VCDX Qualification Review. This is some sort of intake exam.
  • Get to pass the VMware Enterprise Administration exam
  • Get to pass the VMware Design exam
  • Submit, present and defend a successful design and deployment

There are no trainings for this certification and there will be none in the future. This certification is only for the real experts, with a lot of experience. These exams can only be taken on some certain test centers. For the EMEA region (where I live) this is only London or Frankfurt. The defense of your design cannot be done at this moment, because it’s still under development. I hope you can only defend your design in Palo Alto when it becomes available so I have a reason for my boss to go over there ;-)

No related posts.

15 Comments on “New VMware Certifications”

1. #1 Hans
    on Mar 3rd, 2009 at 9:40 pm

Interesting, but it’s not what VMware said in the past: you don’t have to follow a course to upgrade.
    So the first 9 months you can do the quick path but still you have to follow a course. After the 9 months (strange period!!) you have to follow the whole course.

What’s the duration of the “NGen4 What’s New training”?

2. #2 Arnim van Lieshout
    on Mar 4th, 2009 at 9:55 am

During the 9 months shortcut period, you can take the NGen4 exam WITHOUT having attended the “NGen4 What’s New” training. After this period attending the “NGen4 What’s New” is mandatory again. So VMware keeps it word an you are allowed to upgrade without attending a course, but it is for a limited time period only.

3. #3 Mike Laverick
    on Apr 17th, 2009 at 4:25 pm

Can I ask where you got this information from?

4. #4 Arnim van Lieshout
    on Apr 17th, 2009 at 9:20 pm

Mike,

I got this information from a “VCP only” session at the VMworld Europe 2009 Partner Day.

5. #5 RTFM Education » Blog Archive » vSphere VCP Certification Upgrade
    on Apr 21st, 2009 at 12:42 pm
  6. #6 Mike Laverick
    on Apr 21st, 2009 at 12:43 pm

VCP session or do you mean VCI session?

7. #7 Arnim van Lieshout
    on Apr 21st, 2009 at 1:04 pm

Mike,

It was a session marked VCP Only. Not VCI.

8. #8 Dave Convery
    on Apr 21st, 2009 at 1:21 pm

Actually, there IS training for VCDX tests. The fast track VI3 training covers everything you need to know for the Advanced Admin Exam. I also understand that there is a Plan and Design course that prepares you for the Design Exam.

The design/defend part is all you. This is where you need experience.

Dave

9. #9 Arnim van Lieshout
    on Apr 21st, 2009 at 1:46 pm

Dave,

What I meant is that there is no official VMware Course tied directly to these exams. There are several courses available however that cover all or parts of these exams.

10. #10 vSphere 4 - VCP Exam « Armin, Lieshout, Blog, Artikel, Anpassungen, Zertifizierung, Version, wordpress « festplatte.ch
    on Apr 21st, 2009 at 5:34 pm

[...] http://www.van-lieshout.com/2009/03/new-vmware-certifications/ Ähnliche Artikel:VMware vSphere 4VMware documentation library updatesVM Tools not running Fehler mit ESX 3.5 U4 behobenVM Workstation import in ESX3.5VMware ESX/ESXi 3.5 Update 4 released [...]

11. #11 vuemuer.pmiservice.biz » Informazioni sparse su vSphere 4
    on Apr 23rd, 2009 at 12:59 am

[...] NDA (non disclosure agreement) c’è chi l’ha detto ugualmente e quindi ecco un bel riepilogo. Per quel che mi riguarda, ci sarà da fare il nuovo esame su vSphere 4, con l’opzionale [...]

12. #12 VirtualPro » vSphere VCP Certification Paths
    on Apr 29th, 2009 at 11:01 pm

[...] The best post by far,  which I admit I only stumbled upon today, is by a gentleman by the name of Arnim van lieshout .  This was originally published back at the beginning of March and refers to vSphere as NGen4 (Next Generation 4). Now, it’s very detailed and official looking,  I’m not sure he did this himself and I have actually seen a few blog posts suggesting that this material is covered by the VMware NDA.  However the cat is out of the bag so I’m going to share it with you anyway,  luckily I’m not covered by any NDA agreement because I’m not a VMware beta tester (though I would like to be one). [...]

13. #13 Support your favourite blog. Vote Now! | Arnim van Lieshout
    on Jan 6th, 2010 at 10:50 am

[...] New VMware Certifications [...]

14. #14 VESI & PowerGUI PowerPack V2 « Virtu-Al
    on Feb 19th, 2011 at 4:49 pm

[...] will also find many more VM nodes, most of which where inspired by Armin van Lieshout who was a great help during the testing phase and even sent through his own code for me to [...]

15. #15 vSphere VCP Certification Upgrade - RTFM Education – Virtualization, VMware, Citrix
    on Sep 27th, 2012 at 5:32 pm