Paths to VCP on NGen4
My guess is that the launch of the next generation of VMware vSphere products will probably be sooner than some people can imagine. When I was doing the “Overview of the new vSphere products” lab on VMworld Europe 2009 in Cannes last week, the product was looking very finished. All the functionality was there and it was fully functioning. Together with the release of the new vSphere products VMware will also introduce the new certification tracks.
Let’s have a look at the new certification track:
The new NGen4 ICM (Install, Configure and Manage) training will still be mandatory off course, if you want to be recognized as a VCP. I think this is a good thing. I wonder however if they manage to get it together with all the new stuff it in a 5 day course.
The options (black arrows):
- Everybody new to VMware MUST attend the NGen4 ICM training
- Everybody who attended the VI3 training (I&C or DSA only), but didn’t passed the exam MUST attend the NGen4 ICM training again
- If you are a VCP on ESX 2.x you MUST attend the NGen4 training
- If you are a VCP on VI3 you MUST attend the NGen4 What’s New training
From the day of GA, VMware will offer a shortcut for a limited period of only 9 months.
The shortcut options (orange arrows):
- If you are VCP on VI3 than you are allowed to take the new NGen4 exam WITHOUT attending the NGen4 “What’s New” training
- If you are VCP on ESX 2.x you are still allowed to take the VI3 exam in order to become VCP on VI3 and then take the NGen4 exam
- If you attended the VI3 training (I&C or DSA only) but didn’t passed the VI3 exam, you are offered 2 options:
- Take the VI3 exam, and become VCP on VI3 and then take the NGen4 exam
- Attend the NGen4 “What’s New” training and take the NGen4 exam
After this period of 9 months the shortcut paths will not be available anymore. From then on everybody is forced to take the mandatory trainings. So my advice is to get certified on VI3 as quick as possible, this will save you a lot of sorrow.
VMware still wants the VCP certification to behold its market value. We were asked multiple times to not publish any exam content to the web. Another countermeasure against Testking sites is VMware building exams you will only pass if you get real life experience with the product. If you have no experience you will simply going to fail the exam.
My guess is that the new exam is build out of two parts:
The multiple choice part
A simulation(or even a lab) part, where you really have to configure and troubleshoot stuff.
VMware Certified Design Expert (VCDX)
VCDX is and advanced certification developed for those with design architect-level knowledge of VMware enterprise deployments.
This certification exists of the following steps:
- Get your VMware Certified Professional (VCP) status
- Get to pass the VCDX Qualification Review. This is some sort of intake exam.
- Get to pass the VMware Enterprise Administration exam
- Get to pass the VMware Design exam
- Submit, present and defend a successful design and deployment
There are no trainings for this certification and there will be none in the future. This certification is only for the real experts, with a lot of experience. These exams can only be taken on some certain test centers. For the EMEA region (where I live) this is only London or Frankfurt. The defense of your design cannot be done at this moment, because it’s still under development. I hope you can only defend your design in Palo Alto when it becomes available so I have a reason for my boss to go over there
No related posts.