VMware has released ESX(i) 3.5 update4.
While going through the release notes these things caught my attention:
- vCenter 2.5 U2 or higher is required before upgrading to ESX(i) 3.5 U4 according to the Compatibility Matrix
- If you are in a managed (enterprise) environment like me, be sure to upgrade the VI Client software before upgrading your vCenter server.
- According to the VMware ESX server Supported Hardware Lifecysle Management Agents page, the HP Insight Manager Agents need an upgrade to version 8.2. Also see my post on Unattended upgrade of HP management agents
- Also there is a VMware Tools upgrade required after upgrading
- Expanded Support for Enhanced vmxnet Adapter — This version of ESX Server includes an updated version of the VMXNET driver (VMXNET enhanced) for the following guest operating systems:
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (64-bit)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Web Edition
- Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional (32-bit)
- Enablement of Intel Xeon Processor 5500 Series (Nehalem)— Support for the Xeon processor 5500 series has been added. Support includes Enhanced VMotion capabilities. For additional information on previous processor families supported by Enhanced VMotion, see Enhanced VMotion Compatibility (EVC) processor support (KB 1003212).
- QLogic Fibre Channel Adapter Driver Update — The driver and firmware for the QLogic fibre channel adapters have been updated to version 7.08-vm66 and 4.04.06 respectively. This release provides interoperability fixes for QLogic Management Tools for FC Adapters and enhanced NPIV support.
- Emulex Fibre Channel Adapter Driver Update — The driver for Emulex Fibre Channel Adapters has been upgraded to version 188.8.131.52. This release provides support for the HBAnyware 4.0 Emulex management suite.
- Newly Supported Guest Operating Systems — Support for the following guest operating systems has been added specifically for this release:
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 (32-bit and 64-bit).
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (32-bit and 64-bit).
- Ubuntu 8.10 Desktop Edition and Server Edition (32-bit and 64-bit).
- Windows Preinstallation Environment 2.0 (32-bit and 64-bit).
- VMware Tools Upgrade on Linux Guests Requires Manual Network Service Restart (KB 1004322)
- After cold migration on ESX Server, virtual disk with snapshot has the wrong CID (KB 1005228)
- VMware vCenter Server Heartbeat Tweet VMware just released the VMware vCenter Server Heartbeat product which was first publicly announced at VMworld Europe 2009. VMware vCenter Server Heartbeat is an addon which creates high availability...
- Unable to login to your ESX server Tweet Ivo Beerens posted this article last week on the defunct cimservera processes that render an ESX Host unmanageable. See also this VMWare KB Article. Symptoms include: Unable to log...
- New version of the Powershell Healthcheck script released Tweet Ivo Beerens published a new version of his Powershell Healthcheck script. Features: - VMware ESX server Hardware and version - VMware vCenter version - Cluster information (Updated) ...
- Unattended upgrade of HP management agents Tweet After upgrading to ESX 3.5 to update3, I found out that the HP management agents needed to be upgraded to version 8.1.1, since this version supports ESX3.5 update3. So...
- VMware Storage Sudoku Tweet Last Friday I was brainstorming with Gabrie van Zanten about the optimal placement of the VMDKs across our LUNs. We tried to come up with an algorithm that could...